An IP address is the location of a computer on the internet. For example:
HostGator always provides static, public IPs on servers. We offer shared by default and dedicated by request. [Order Now]
(We do not provide a dedicated IP address for your personal computer's internet connection or network connection. For that, please contact your internet service provider.)
Parts of an IP Address
An IP address is composed of four parts:
- first octet - the first number of the IP (123)
- second octet - the second number of the IP (45)
- third octet - the third number of the IP (67)
- fourth octet - the fourth and last number of the IP (89)
IP Address Terminology
Static means the IP address never changes as long as you stay with the same provider or same server.
Dynamic means the IP address can change from time-to-time.
Public means the IP address can be visited from any computer in the world.
Private means the IP address can only be used by those on the same network.
Shared means other people use your IP address for their connection or websites.
Dedicated means no one else uses your IP address for their connection or websites.
Class identifies the range of your IP address and the default subnet mask.
- A class - 0 to 127 with default mask of 255.0.0.0
- B class - 128 to 191 with default mask of 255.255.0.0
- C class - 192 to 223 with default mask of 255.255.255.0
- D class - 224 to 247 (not currently used)
- E class - 248 to 255 (not currently used)
I Need Separate C-Class IPs
You can get those by ordering a special SEO hosting plan.
Visit the SEO Hosting website for contact information, including a new SEO phone number (866-692-9231) and updated chat support buttons.
HostGator staff no longer has access to SEO Hosting accounts and all future support requests should be sent to the new SEO Hosting Support Team.