CentOS 5 is reaching its End of Life, and it will no longer be receiving updates as of March 31st, 2017 (source). After this date there will be no new security updates and any servers still running this OS may become vulnerable to newly discovered security issues.
HostGator recommends upgrading your OS by migrating your data to a new server that has up to date software. To upgrade to a new server with a current operating system:
- Purchase a new VPS or Dedicated server which matches the package level of your existing server.
- Once the server is provisioned, fill out the transfer form for assistance with migrating:
Given the end of security updates for CentOS 5, HostGator recommends making this change as soon as possible.
- CentOS 7 is not currently available for install. We do not currently have an ETA for when this will be available.
- All new servers come with CentOS 6 so you do not need to make any special requests.
- Only PHP 5.6 and newer are supported. Sites using PHP 5.5 or earlier should be tested with PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0.
- The migration process will also provide you with a way to review your sites before updating your DNS.