Domain locking is how you control whether or not your domain can be moved to another registrar. Any domain you register with HostGator will automatically be set to a locked status, meaning that it cannot be moved from its current registrar.
HostGator has created a new domain control panel which allows you access to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change the lock status of your domains using this new control panel.
To change the lock status for a HostGator domain:
- Go to http://register.hostgator.com
- Click on the Manage Domains tab.
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account. (This will be the same login as http://portal.hostgator.com.) Once logged in, you will see any domains attached to the billing account along with basic information about each domain.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link below the login fields to reset your password.
- Click on the desired domain name to get to the Domain Overview which will show more details about the selected domain and provide access to several other functions.
- Click the Domain Locking tab from the left-hand menu.
- On the Domain Locking page, select the Locking OFF radio button to unlock the domain; or select the Locking ON radio button to lock the domain.
- Click Save Domain Locking to save your changes.