Transferring a WordPress.com hosted blog to your own self-hosted WordPress blog requires the following steps:
Step 1: Install WordPress on Your Hosting Account
Please refer to the following article for detailed instructions on how to install WordPress on your HostGator hosting account using QuickInstall or a manual installation:
Step 2: Export WordPress.com Blog Files
To export your WordPress blog files:
- Log in to your WordPress.com dashboard.
- From the left-hand navigation menu, click Tools > Export.
- Download the XML (WXR) file to your local computer.
Step 3: Import WordPress.com Blog Files
To import your WordPress blog files to your self-hosted WordPress site:
- Log in to the WordPress dashboard on your HostGator account. For help logging into WordPress, please read: How to log into WordPress
- From the left-hand navigation menu, click Tools> Import>WordPress.
- In the browse box, navigate to the export file that was downloaded to your local computer in Step 2.
- Click the Upload & Import File button.
Give the import process some time to complete (depending on how large your export file is) and everything should be imported correctly. Once the upload completes, refresh the blog hosted on your HostGator account to view the newly imported information.