VAT (Value Added Tax) is a tax on consumer spending within the territory of a European Union (E.U.) Member State.
Customers categorized as Business or Charity users in the E.U. may be required to self-account for VAT under EC Directive 2006/112, Art 196, using the reverse charge mechanism. For HostGator to determine if you may fall into this category and not charge you VAT, you must supply all required information (see below).
If you are not familiar with the VAT self-accounting rules in your country, please contact your accountant or professional adviser for more information.
For more information about EU VAT, please read our European Union VAT FAQ.
How to Submit Your VAT Number & Required Information
You can provide your VAT number at the time of purchase, or you can add your VAT number to your billing account if you did not provide it at the time of purchase.
These options only appear if your billing address is in the European Union, and are hidden for all other countries and unions.
Options 1: Providing Your VAT Number at the Time of Purchase
- On the order form, select your country from the Country Drop Down List.
- If you are subject to VAT, a new section will appear called "Account Use."
- Select Individual, Business or Charity, as appropriate.
- If you are a business or charity, provide your business name and VAT number in the fields provided.
- Complete Your Order.
Option 2: Providing Your VAT Number After Time of Purchase
- Login to Your Billing Account at: https://portal.hostgator.com/
- Click on My Account > Settings.
- In the EU VAT Identification section at the bottom, select Business or Charity.
- Provide your business or charity name and VAT number in the fields provided.
- Click Submit Request.