This article will provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions pertaining to CodeGuard for HostGator's Shared web hosting customers.
1. How to access the CodeGuard dashboard?
Customers will be able to access CodeGuard through cPanel; this will open up a new tab into their CodeGuard dashboard, similar to our offer with SiteLock.
For more information on how to access and navigate the CodeGuard dashboard, please see the following articles:
2. Does the CodeGuard service transfer with my account if I upgrade to a higher plan? If so, how can I access CodeGuard with the new account?
Yes. If you have a standard Shared hosting plan (Hatchling, Baby or Business), the account will stay the same with no changes necessary. You would continue to access it the same way as before the upgrade.
3. How often does CodeGuard back up my website?
CodeGuard backs up your files and MySQL databases every 24 hours. The times for the backups vary each day; and if any changes are found, a Change Alert email that tells you what has been added, modified or deleted will be sent out. The duration of each backup varies depending on the size of the website or database being backed up.
For more information on how CodeGuard backups work, please see the following article:
4. Do the daily backups run at a particular time of day?
CodeGuard backups generally run between 4am and 4pm ET, but currently there is no set schedule.
5. Is it possible to specify an exact time for the backups to run?
At this time, it is not possible to specify a time to have the CodeGuard backups run.
6. Does CodeGuard keep multiple backups for a given website? If so, is there a limit or maximum number of backups that are kept before CodeGuard removes older backups?
CodeGuard doesn't keep "multiple backups" in the typical sense; however, CodeGuard does keep a full history of backups run, and you can restore any previous version. Please note that CodeGuard does not backup emails, only site files and databases.
Please refer to the following article for more information:
7. What are the available billing cycle options for CodeGuard?
CodeGuard can only be billed as a yearly service at this time.
8. Is there a trial period or policy in place for refund requests for if I decide to cancel the CodeGuard service early?
Unfortunately, there is not a trial period available at this time. The refund policy will be the same with CodeGuard as it is with other account addons - If cancelled within the first 45 days of the account creation, you may be eligible for a refund. Please contact us via phone or Live Chat for more information.
9. When upgrading CodeGuard plans, will I be prorated based on the remaining time in the billing cycle, or will I be charged full price for the upgrade?
You will be prorated on your CodeGuard plan based on where you are in the billing cycle.
10. Why is the size of my CodeGuard backup smaller than my website?
The backups stored on CodeGuard are compressed and will often be much smaller than the actual content seen through your control panel or SFTP/FTP client. So don't be alarmed if your 5GB site is only 1GB in CodeGuard's system - this happens all the time! On the other hand, if you have content that is not compressed easily - images, audio, or video - you won't see the same compression benefits seen with text-heavy content.
11. How do I change what is being backed up?
12. Will CodeGuard back up my databases?
Yes! When a new website or database is added to your HostGator account, CodeGuard automatically detects it and adds it to your CodeGuard dashboard to be backed up. No setup is required!
13. How do I reset my password? How do I access my CodeGuard account?
One of the best features about CodeGuard is that you don't need a password. It can be accessed directly from cPanel. For detailed instructions, please read the following article: