According to ICANN regulation, whenever a domain is registered, accurate information must be submitted along with that registration. Maintaining accurate WHOIS information can be vital to managing your domain.
It is recommended that you use an email address independent of the domain you are registering since you will need access to this email address to verify your WHOIS information.
How to Update WHOIS Information
HostGator has created a new domain control panel which allows you access to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change and manage the WHOIS information for your domains.
To change the WHOIS information for a domain:
- Go to http://register.hostgator.com.
- Click on the Manage Domains tab.
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account. (This will be the same login as http://portal.hostgator.com.) Once logged in, you will see any domains attached to the billing account along with basic information about each domain.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link below the login fields to reset your password.
- By clicking on a domain name, you can get to the Domain Overview which will show more details about the selected domain and provide access to several other functions.
- Click Contact Info from the left hand menu. You can then change the WHOIS contact information from this section.
- The contact information is separated into registrant, administrative, technical and billing contacts. You may input different data into each contact or click the Use for all contacts check box to use the registrant information for all four contacts.
- Once all the contact information has been filled out (don't forget to double-check for accuracy), click Save Contact Info to save your changes.