(Part 3 of 3 of How to Change Your Primary Domain)
When making major changes to your account, it's important that you follow the proper procedures and know what to expect. To ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, please be sure to read the following articles before making any changes to your primary domain:
Shared and Reseller
You no longer need to ask HostGator to change the primary domain name associated with your account. You can make the change yourself in GatorBill.
- Log into the HostGator billing tool at http://gbclient.hostgator.com
- Under Hosting Packages, click View Hosting Packages.
- Find the package you wish to modify and click Change My Domain.
- On the Change Domain page, type your new domain and click Update Domain.
Note: This will only change the domain setup on the server; it will not register your new domain. If needed, you may register new domains at register.hostgator.com
Dedicated and VPS
Please create a ticket to change your primary domain name. There is no charge for this service.
Changing Addon and Subdomain Names
You will not need HostGator's billing tool to change your subdomains, addon domains and parked domains. You can do that directly through cPanel.
How to Change an Addon Domain Name and Keep the Content
In this example, we will change books123456789.com to books4allofus.com
- Register your new domain name.
- Login to your HostGator cPanel.
- In the Domains section, click the Addon Domains icon.
- Write down the "document root" for the old addon domain.
- Remove the addon domain with the old name.
- Create a new addon domain with the new name, but use the old "document root" (which you wrote down) as the new document root value.
Your site should now have all the same content, but a new URL.