Dedicated Server and VPS
Users must install their own SSL certificate and enable sharing within WHM by going to the SSL/TLS section and selecting Manage SSL Hosts.
Further instructions can be found in our video tutorial:
Shared and Reseller
All HostGator Shared and Reseller servers have a shared SSL certificate pre-installed for use. To access your website using the shared certificate, you will need to know your server name, your cPanel user name and your server's secure name.
Locating the Server Name
In order to determine the secure server name, you will first need to locate the server name, which will be different. There are several ways to determine your server name:
- The server name is provided in the welcome email which was sent to the account owner upon account signup
- The server name is also displayed in cPanel, in the left column near the bottom
- Alternatively, you can run a traceroute test (which sometimes indicates the server name) on your domain
Locating the cPanel User Name
- Shared customers can locate the user name for cPanel in the welcome email that HostGator sent upon account signup.
- Reseller customers can locate their user name for cPanel in the welcome email that HostGator sent upon account signup. The cPanel username can also be obtained in WHM under List Accounts.
Determining the Secure Server Name
- Shared customers can substitute secure where it says gator in the server name. For example, if your server name is gator123.hostgator.com, then your secure server name would be secure123.hostgator.com.
- Reseller customers can use their server hostname, shared temporary URL or can contact HostGator support to determine the correct secure URL.
Using the Shared SSL
To successfully utilize shared SSL, please use the following format:
These examples use bill as the cPanel username. Substitute your correct cPanel username for bill above.
If you do not use the correct secure server name, a warning message will appear. Learn more in the related article:
For instructions on how to post secure content to a page with a shared SSL, please read the following article: