- Go to GoDaddy's site and into the Domain Management section. [screenshot]
- Login if you are not already.
- Click the link for your domain. [screenshot]
- Scroll down to the Contacts area. You need to make sure your contact information is updated and valid, or you will not get the Authorization Code - also known as EPP key. Click "(edit)" or "(edit all)". [screenshot]
- If necessary, update your contact email so it is accurate. This will ensure the Authorization Code comes to your email. WARNING: If you update any information other than the contact email, GoDaddy will likely lock your domain for an indefinite amount of time. This lock prevents you from transferring your domain name and cannot be removed by you. When done, click OK. [screenshot]
- Above is a line stating "Authorization Code: Send By Email". Click the Send by Email link and follow the pop-up (click OK twice). [screenshot]
- Now is time to make sure that your domain is unlocked. When your domain is locked, the registrar has a legal obligation to reject your transfer request. So, above the link you clicked is another line stating "Locked: Locked Manage". Click the Manage link and follow the pop-up (uncheck the Lock Domains box and click OK twice). [screenshot]
- By now you should have an email from GoDaddy saying "The authorization information you requested is as follows: Domain Name: yourdomain.com Authorization Info: A123EXAMPLE049BB." The code shown after Authorization Info is your EPP code (or Auth Key).
Now you are ready to transfer your domain name to HostGator.
- Visit http://hostgator.com/transfer. Enter your domain name in the purple box. (Do not enter the .com part, instead select it from the drop-down.) Click the Transfer button. [screenshot]
If your domain's TLD extension (other than .com) is not available in the drop-down, this step will not work for you. Instead, please email email@example.com with your domain name and authorization code so we can arrange payment.
- Check the box so you agree to the Terms of Registration. Enter your Authorization Key you received in your email from GoDaddy. Enter your contact information same as it is at GoDaddy. Finally, enter your credit card information and click the Purchase button. [screenshot]
If you cannot pay with credit card, this step will not work for you. Instead, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your domain name and authorization code so we can arrange payment.
- Allow some time for HostGator to process your order, and some time for GoDaddy to contact you. After a few hours you should have an email from GoDaddy stating your request to transfer the domain was received and you can still cancel the transfer and stay with GoDaddy. This is a typical security measure, but also works as a stall tactic. You need to approve the transfer in GoDaddy control panel, or else your transfer can take up to 7 days to complete.
- To approve the transfer, head back to your GoDaddy account. Go into the domain management section. Select your domain.
- Hover over the Domains tab and select Pending Transfers. You should see your domain listed. [screenshot]
- Select the check box next to your domain and click the Accept/Decline button in the top toolbar.
- Choose Accept and click the OK button.
Now your transfer will complete without unexpected delays. You will receive an email from HostGator once the transfer is complete, and you may contact HostGator to inquire about the transfer status.