Name servers are essentially addresses for a server which you can use to point a domain to a desired server. If you registered a domain with a new hosting package, the domain should already be pointed to the proper HostGator server, but sometimes you may have incorrect name servers or need to change which name servers your domain is pointed to.
HostGator has created a new domain control panel which allows you access to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change your domain's name servers using this new control panel.
To change the name servers for HostGator domain:
- Go to http://register.hostgator.com
- Click on the Manage Domains tab.
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account. (This will be the same login as http://gbclient.hostgator.com.) Once logged in, you will see any domains attached to the billing account along with basic information about each domain.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link below the login fields to reset your password.
- Click on the desired domain name to get to the Domain Overview which will show more details about the selected domain and provide access to several other functions.
- Click the Name Servers tab from the left-hand menu.
- On the Name Servers page, you can edit the name servers which the domain will point to. There is also a drop-down box that will automatically point the domain to any active packages on the account.
- Once you have entered your name servers, click Save Name Servers to save your changes. Please remember that name server changes can take 24 to 48 hours to propagate.
If you want to use managed DNS with your domain, the name servers for the domain must be set to the following: