Private name servers are DNS name servers that are associated with a particular domain name, as opposed to being associated with those of HostGator.Your private name servers would be ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com, instead of nameservers with a HostGator domain.
How to Set Up Private Name Servers
To set up your private name servers:
- Go to register.hostgator.com.
- Click on the Manage Domains button.
- In the pop-up that appears, log in with your GatorBill login credentials. The LaunchPad domain landing page will appear.
- Click on the domain name that will be utilizing private name servers.
- Once logged in, click on the domain name to be modified
- Insert the private name servers and their corresponding IP addresses.
- Click the Save Name servers button.
What to Expect After the Setup
It may take 24 to 48 hours to register your private name servers. Once your name servers are successfully registered, you can set all of your domain names to use the private name servers you registered.
Like most name server changes, it will take an additional 24 to 48 hours (sometimes quicker) for this change to propagate and function. This delay applies to all domains with any registrar, not just Launchpad.