Below you will find information on how to change passwords for various accounts related to your HostGator web hosting plan. Some password changes may require HostGator support; however, some passwords can be changed in just a few quick steps.
Check your welcome email for the correct user name and password. If that password is not working, please refer to the following article for instructions on how to reset your cPanel password:
Note: If you change your control panel password, the password for the following will also be updated:
- Main FTP account
Check your welcome email for the correct user name and password. If that password is not working, please refer to the following article for instructions on how to reset your WHM password:
The login is your contact email address and the original password you signed up with.
If that password is not working, please do the following to reset the billing password:
- Go to https://portal.hostgator.com
- Click the Forgot Your Password link.
- Provide the email address associated with your billing account.
- In the email that you receive, follow the instructions to reset the billing password.
If you do NOT get an email with a new password, please contact HostGator via phone or live chat.
To change the password for an email account:
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Mail section, click the Email Accounts icon.
- In the table which lists all email accounts, click Change Password next to the account you wish to change.
You will not need the old password to set a new one.
Resellers can reset the password for a customer by doing the following:
- Log into WHM.
- Go to Account Functions.
- Click Password Modification.
- Select the account domain name or username for the account password you wish to modify.
- Under Password Entry, type the new password.
- Click Change Password.
In order to update the password for your database user, please complete the following steps :
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Databases section, click MySQL Databases.
- Under the Current Users section, click Set Password.
- On the next page, enter a new password then click the Change Password button.
- Once you receive confirmation, please remember to update the configuration file for your script to ensure that your site continues to load without issue. More information on the location of the configuration file for most popular scripts can be found here.
If the software was installed via QuickInstall you can reset the password from within cPanel by accessing the installation via QuickInstall. If the software was manually installed, HostGator may not be able to reset your Website Admin password due to custom configurations.
For instructions on how to reset your WordPress password, please refer to the following article:
For Windows Shared packages, please refer to the following article for instructions on how to reset your Plesk control panel password:
For Windows Dedicated packages, please refer to the following article for instructions on how to reset your Plesk admin control panel password: