One of the most useful tools in cPanel that is often overlooked is the Network Tools function. Oftentimes, when your site is not working properly, HostGator agents use networking tools similar to this feature in cPanel to help diagnose common issues that prevent your site from functioning. Network Tools includes:
- Domain Lookup, commonly referred to as a WHOIS lookup, allows you to find out information about any domain such as the owner of the domain name, which registrar the domain name is registered with (the company from which the domain was purchased) as well as current DNS settings. This can be a very useful tool to make sure your DNS is set up properly right after DNS changes have been made.
- Trace Route allows you to trace the route from the server your site is on to the computer you are accessing cPanel from (i.e. the number of servers and what servers your data must pass through to get to your site). This is helpful in determining any network connection issues from your location to your server.
Domain Lookup and Trace Route
To perform a domain lookup or a trace route:
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Advanced section, click the Network Tools icon.
- To look up information on any domain, enter the domain (e.g. hostgator.com) into the text box under Domain Lookup, and click Look Up. This will display information regarding the domain registrar and current DNS settings.
- To perform a Trace Route to your specific server from your location, click the Trace button under Trace Route.